This is a simple vegetarian dish to cook at home. Dhal is lentil. I have some yellow split lentils left so I used it up to make this curry.
Ingredients you will need:
- 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 180g of dhal (lentil), washed and soaked overnight
- 3-4 cups of water
- 2-3 teaspoons of salt
- 1 brinjal or eggplant, sliced or cut into small pieces
- 1 potato, cut into small cubes
- Wash the dhal (lentils) and remove any dirt until the water is clear and drain.
- Mix the curry and turmeric powder with 2-3 tablespoons of water to make a paste.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Brown the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Add turmeric and curry powder paste and stir well over low heat. Add the dhal (lentils) and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add water and salt and allow to simmer, covered for about 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and brinjal (eggplant) and simmer for another 10 minutes or until soft.
Add seasoning or more salt to your taste.
You can also add some small pieces of chicken meat to cook with the dhal (lentils) to add more flavor.