This is one of my hubby’s favorite vegetable dish. He’s no veg lover so I try to cook vegetable dishes that he tasted and expressed some liking to when we dined out. And every time we dine out I’m almost always all ears to hear my son’s and hubby’s comments on the dishes we ordered. I will take note of the dish that they liked and how it’s cooked.
Kangkung Tumis Belachan is one such dish that my family enjoys and I often cooked at home. It’s a very simple dish and can be eaten with warm rice or porridge.
Preparation Time: 15-20 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
Makes: 1 medium plate/bowl of the dish
- 1 bunch kangkung or water spinach
- About 4-5 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Salt and Seasoning* to taste
- a) 1 tablespoon of soaked dried shrimp, softened and drained
- b) 2 fresh red chillies, sliced
- c) 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- d) 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- e) 1 teaspoon of belachan or shrimp paste
For item (a) to (e), pound them into a paste using the pestle and mortar or use a blender.
- Heat the cooking oil in the wok over medium high heat, add the pounded ingredients and fry for a few minutes to cook or until fragrant.
- Add in the water spinach and stir-fry with the pounded ingredients on high heat for just a couple of minutes.
- Add salt and seasoning like MSG or ‘HaoChi’ powder to taste.
- At this point, do not overcook as leafy vegetables like water spinach don’t take long to cook.
Best to serve when still hot with warm rice.