This is an Indian dish, a South Indian dish to be more precise and this dish is one of the most often cooked dish in a Malay home. There may be slight variations here and there but the basic ingredients are the same. We have added coconut milk to further flavor the dish and as for the health conscious, the coconut milk can be replaced with cow’s milk or even rice or soy milk. I’ll try to make the dish as simple as possible without compromising on the taste.
- 8-10 pieces of Chicken, medium cut
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Coconut milk
- 1 bunch of fresh Coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp of Curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp of Ginger, grounded
- 1/2 tbsp of Garlic, grounded
- 2-3 tbsp of cooking Oil
- 4 Tomatoes, diced
- Heat oil in a pan. Then add the chopped onions and fry until it is cooked. Next add the grounded ginger and garlic, fry it for a few seconds. Add the diced tomatoes, cook it for a couple of minutes then add the curry powder and mix and let it fry for a few minutes.
- Next, add the chicken pieces, mix it with the cooked ingredients and put the lid on. Let it cook for some time then add the water and let it cook till chicken is tender. Lastly, add the coconut milk and some curry leaves and let it cook for a few minutes.
You can garnish with green chillies or chopped coriander leaves. Best served with warm white rice.